Warning! This blog may contain film spoilers!

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
Directed by Marc Webb.

Continuing on with the really really late movie reviews...

I'm not going to say much about this one, because most of my feelings about it have been expressed by other people and I just don't feel like thinking about the movie very much.

I really like Andrew Garfield. He's a great actor and does very well portraying Peter Parker. And I love the on-screen chemistry between him and Emma Stone. I know about some of the things that happen in the comic canon (in a general sort of way), so I knew that she would die eventually, and that scene was well done and dramatic and painful just like it should have been.

But they fucked up the rest of the movie. You don't get over that kind of trauma in a five minute "seasons changing" montage. The audience doesn't. The character shouldn't. And dealing with it this way completely undermines the emotional weight of the characters death. And then to end the film with a completely back to normal Spidey? A happy, funny, sarcastic Spidey just like the one we met at the beginning of the film? Where's the character development? He should be angry, depressed, pissed-at-the-world Spidey. He should still be mourning at the beginning of the next movie so he can feel conflicted when he starts to fall for MJ and those emotions will actually feel genuine for the audience. I even think that Gwen's death should ultimately lead Peter to become a bigger risk taking Spidey. And Amazing Spider-Man 3 should end with the death of Peter Parker.

But that's just my opinion.

3 out of 5 stars.
Viewed at LOOK Cinemas Prestonwood in Dallas, TX on May 5, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment